IRS Tax Lawyers Houston
Helping Clients Settle Debts with the IRS for 35+ Years
One of the most widespread myths about bankruptcy is that it cannot address any type of tax debt. In fact, people who are burdened with substantial, past-due debts to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the state of Texas or both should absolutely speak with a knowledgeable Houston bankruptcy lawyer about their overall financial situations and potential solutions.
Need to resolve your tax debt to the IRS? Contact us online or call our Houston office at (713) 338-9009 right away to get the answers you need!
What Can Our Houston Tax Attorneys Do For You?
The IRS has sweeping powers to collect on tax obligations. Those powers extend to wage garnishment, tax levies on bank accounts and property seizures, but it may be possible for you to get protection under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. Such actions can often be stopped or prevented through a timely, well-prepared Chapter 13 bankruptcy filing.
How to Resolve Tax Debt With Bankruptcy
Attorneys at the Guzman Law Firm have helped many people deal effectively with complex tax debt problems. Our Houston bankruptcy lawyers are familiar with the highly technical rules that apply, and we will not make false promises or offer false hope.
Bankruptcy can be a solution to tax debt in the following ways:
- Many aggressive legal actions, such as wage garnishments, tax sales of property and bank levies, can be stopped immediately by filing a bankruptcy petition.
- The benefits of paying taxes over a three- to five-year period as part of a Chapter 13 plan are often considerable. Depending on the type of tax you owe, it may enable you to avoid paying interest, for example.
- In some cases, income tax obligations incurred many years ago can be eliminated through either a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy filing.
Can Chapter 7 Discharge Tax Debt?
If you are filing for Chapter 7, you must meet several conditions to discharge debts from federal income taxes.
- The tax debt is from income taxes
- The tax debt is at least three years old
- You filed a tax return for the debt in question at least two years before filing
- Your tax debt was assessed by the IRS at least 240 days before you filed
- You did not commit tax fraud or evasion
Help With Tax Debt Relief
With offices throughout the Greater Houston area, attorneys for IRS tax debt relief through bankruptcy are ready to talk through your important challenge. We offer a free consultation without any obligation or risk on your part. Hablamos español.
To get in contact with an IRS Tax Lawyer in Houston, call our Houston office at (713) 338-9009 and tell us about your situation during a free case evaluation.